Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Curmudgeonly Gamer Comes Home to Roost...

When I first moved to Los Angeles, CA a year ago, I assumed that I would be leaving behind some of my gaming ways.  The pass time that had been a staple of my adolescence and early adulthood should have been replaced by my newfound drive to complete my college education...this however, was not to be the case.

I came into the L.A. leather community to discover a number of dedicated gamers of various levels of dedication, and quickly discovered that there was (and is) a growing discontent within the ranks that cannot and should not be dismissed as the last gasps of a dying breed - there is real merit to many of these complaints, and those in the gaming industry should take heed if they plan to maintain their connection to this well-funded demographic.

As the Nintendo Generation begins their journey in their 30s, video game companies have been smart to grow with their early followers, providing more and more adult-themed games that appeal not only to the older players but can draw in the emerging gamer class.  While this may seem intelligent, at first glance, there is some suspension of disbelief at work, here; there is a man behind the curtain away from whom they want to drag your attention - the truth is that there is little substance in exchange for greater style.

This blog is dedicated to identifying the things that made the video game industry great, the problems that continue to plague the market, and the pitfalls that should be avoided if the industry expects to continue to thrive.  In addition, I'll be ranting about some of my pet peeves about modern gaming, and my opinion on the state of things.

I am also linking my Amazon.com account to this blog so that I can include product reviews, recommendations, and links to upcoming products that are exciting to me.  This IS a shameless attempt to make a very small amount of money, so please be sure to follow these links to help me continue to provide content that is relavent and helpful in an increasingly accepting game review market.

With that said, I hope that you enjoy my newest blog, and can't wait to hear some feedback!

Sincerely,
Marcus J. Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment